Since 1976, St. John’s Church Foundation has presented historical reenactments of the Second Virginia Convention of March 1775 at its original location. Professional actors in 1770s attire portray ten delegates, including Patrick Henry, Thomas Jefferson, and George Washington. The delegates engage in the debates and arguments of the Second Virginia Convention, which lead up to Patrick Henry’s immortal “Give me liberty or give me death!” speech.
We offer free public reenactments during the summer and on select dates throughout the year. We also perform private reenactments for school, church, and other groups.
I. Summer Reenactment Series
Each year from Memorial Day to Labor Day, we offer Public Reenactments of the Second Virginia Convention and Henry’s “Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death!” speech. Each Sunday afternoon (and some Saturdays), we offer first-come, first served seating to the public to attend the reenactment. The event is free with a suggested donation of $5.
For the dates and times of ALL summer reenactments, please visit our EVENTS page.
NEW THIS YEAR: We offer advanced ticket sales for large groups, for those who want to make sure to get a seat, or who just don’t want to wait in line. Please find the EVENT listing for your desired reenactment date, and follow the links therein to make your purchase.
For all Summer Reenactments:
- 1:15 pm – Doors open. Seating is on a first-come, first served basis.
- 1:30 pm – Music program begins.
- 1:45 pm – Reenactment begins. No admittance once the church reaches capacity or after the reenactment begins.
FAQ for Public Reenactments
- Historic St. John’s Church welcomes all visitors.
- We are fully wheelchair accessible. We offer handicapped parking on 24th street, directly in front of the elevator, which leads to the church grounds.
- Street parking is available.
- Seating is first come, first served. Seat saving will not be permitted. The entire party must be present before seating will take place.
- Doors close once the church reaches capacity or when the reenactment begins. No admittance after the reenactment begins.
- The reenactment is not recommended for children under the age of 6. We ask that parents escort restless children outside so that the audience is not disturbed. Your cooperation is appreciated.
- No still or video photography is permitted during the reenactment. Actors will be available on the grounds for photos after the reenactment.
- No food, beverages, gum, strollers or backpacks are permitted in the church. Bags are subject to search.
- This event is FREE, with a suggested donation of $5.00.
- You may reserve seats (up to 100) by purchasing advance $5 tickets. Please see individual EVENT listing for your desired reenactment to find the appropriate purchase link.
- Reserved ticket holders should arrive between 12:45-1:15. Please skip the line and follow the signs to the West door of the church. You will there be admitted and seated.
II. Private Reenactments
Groups may arrange for a Private Reenactment inside historic St. John’s Church.
- Performances are 45 minutes in length. We suggest allotting one hour to allow for seating, restroom visits, and photographs with the actors.
- Church capacity is 325.
Hours for reenactments are 10:00 AM – to 3:30 PM. Reenactments booked outside these hours garner additional fees.
- Before 10:00 AM, add $100
- From 4:00-4:30 PM, add $50
- After 4:30, add $100
To make a reservation, please call our Visitor Center at (804) 648-5015.
You may also send us an email for more information.